This Wednesday, we are tentatively planning to release a new search for Wikia called Lucene Search. This is the search engine that Wikipedia has been using for quite some time, and provides a number of significant advantages:
- Short words are properly indexed (the old search ignored words with fewer than 4 letters).
- Numbers are indexed.
- "Common words" are indexed (words such as "from", "with", and "what" were previously ignored).
- Search is no longer case sensitive.
- Relevance should be dramatically improved--results are ranked by how the search terms are used within the page, number of incoming links to the page, and a number of other factors to provide the best possible results.
- Results display the rendered text of the pages rather than the raw source with MediaWiki markup, which should make them significantly more readable.